Learn skills in editing and publishing. Bull City Press is looking for the perfect candidate for our Summer Internship Program in Fiction, which runs from mid-to-late May until mid-August, 2021. Start and end dates are flexible to allow students from a variety of undergraduate institutions to apply. Interns are expected to spend 7-10 hours a week assisting an Associate Editor. This internship is unpaid; interns must earn academic credit for their institution or must receive institutional support to be eligible.
We are looking for motivated, independent young people with great communications skills. The internship may include the following tasks:
- Attend weekly meetings each Wednesday across the summer from 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM EST
- Evaluate submissions of flash fiction in a timely manner through the Bull City Press submissions client
- Pay careful attention to the stylistic and narrative elements of the works you evaluate
- Write editorial comments and communicate your notes about manuscripts through Slack
- Bring manuscripts with promise to the table, prepared to discuss with fellow readers
- Assist production and post-production staff with a variety of tasks for a title currently in production
- Strong understanding and appreciation of fiction
- Great communication skills, active listening, and can deliberate with a team
- Skilled in basic editing, copyediting, and writing
- Ability to collaborate remotely via Slack and Zoom
- Curiosity and a willingness to learn
To apply, email email@example.com with a cover letter, plus a resume or CV. Applicants may be based anywhere; work does not need to be performed in Durham. Applications will be accepted until April 22, 2021.