Inch has one reading period per year: April 15-May 15.
We’re looking for your small collections—a minimum of three stories or essays, or a constellation of poems, between 10-16 pages in length:
- Up to 75% of the pieces in your collection may be previously published, but we do require that at least 25% of the pieces be unpublished at the time of acceptance.
- Include a title page with your contact information, a table of contents, an acknowledgements page (if needed), and an “about the author” page, none of which will count toward your 10-16 pages of creative work.
Each year, we choose one manuscript from each of our three genres:
- Fiction: Flash fiction. Microfiction. Sudden fiction. Call it what you will; Inchloves to see cohesive groupings of short-short fiction. Submit your collection of a minimum of three stories in double-spaced format.
- Nonfiction: Our theory is, if life is too short, as most agree it is, you shouldn’t need our full sixteen pages for a single essay. Submit your collection of a minimum of three essays in double-spaced format.
- Poetry: We’ve always loved the brevity of poetry. Though we no longer have a line limit, we’re still looking for poems that celebrate compression. Submit your collection with no more than one poem per single-spaced page.
To lift up our local literary community, we publish a fourth collection by a North Carolina writer:
- In the genre tab of our submissions portal, select “Inch submission: NC author microchap (all genres)”
- Include the genre of your submission in the title field (i.e. “In the Gem Mine Capital of the World_Poetry”).
- In the comments feature, briefly explain your connection to North Carolina.
We accept electronic submissions through our online submissions manager. Submit your work online, and you will be able to log in and check the status of your submission at any time. We no longer accept submissions via e-mail or snail mail.
SUBMIT HERE: https://bullcitypress.com/submissions